As the title says, I realize that I haven’t been able to get my posts up at all during the week….the lack of time in front of a computer combined with the internet connection problems I’ve had with MLB Blogs had caused me to not be able to post….I just tried it on a whim here in Atlantic City and it seems to be working, so until I can get everything updated….here’s my blog from team1200.com with everything that I’ve been up to….
Again, my apologies….I’ll get everything ready tomorrow….
So, I’m a couple days away from leaving on the trip and I get the news today that a friend of mine from high school is going to join me on the trip for a week….Chris and I were good friends in high school, but unfortunately, we went our separate ways and would only see other once in a blue moon….
Fast forward to 8 years later…we still have mutual friends, but at this point, we didn’t have each others phone number, but Chris got word of the trip from the mutual friend and he was on board. Unfortunately, it was a little bit too late for him to commit to the whole trip, but he committed to the first couple weeks of it today. He told me how excited it would be to do it and that what I was doing was his dream trip…The way I look at it, if I can share a little bit of the happiness of my trip with someone else, then that’s something that’s just invaluable….It just blows my mind that the game of baseball could be the catalyst of something where two friends get together again…
Looking ahead to the weather in Boston and there’s a 50 percent chance of rain for Monday morning…..NOOOOOOO! That would be such a terrible way to start the trip, not to mention the headache of what I would do with a ticket that I paid 91 dollars for….luckily, the game starts so early that people could sit their through rain delays all day and still maybe get the game in…..
Other random thoughts
– Steve Lloyd from the Team 1200 (the station I work for) made the point today….Take a look at the AL standings going into tonight’s action….who thinks that the order will be completely reversed by the time the season ends?
– Every time I see the Royals, the more I’m convinced that they will steal the AL Central title away….the division is just weak enough that it’s plausible…
– Sorry to offend any Nationals fans, but did I really book myself to watch 3 Nationals games in 8 days? Yikes!
– Is it just me or does anyone else just feel bad watching Randy Johnson struggle in his first two starts with the Giants? It’s just nowhere near what we used to see maybe a decade ago when he was unbelievably dominant….
– I’m assuming nothing exciting will happen with the NHL Draft Lottery tonight…..I understand that they want to steer away from the idea of “tanking” a season, but if the teams outside the Top 5 have such a terrible chance of winning the lottery anyways, they should at least be allowed the opportunity to move up more than 5 spots in the draft….So, expect the Islanders to have the first pick in the draft in June…
Random Ottawa thought
– I don’t expect to see Chris Neil or Mike Comrie in Sens uniforms next year….It simply comes down to money and other teams will pay the money that they want through free agency….It would be naive for people to think that Comrie would take a pay cut of close to 60 percent if another team came along with an offer that was close to what he received this year….In Neil’s case, teams will offer him the offer that he covets and as much as he likes the idea of staying in Ottawa, if the Sens won’t offer him that money, he has to get the big money deal that will set him up for life….
With only a week before the first game of the trip in Boston, I’ve decided to preview the trip by letting you in a little bit more of the planning that went over the last couple of months or so…Much like the planning of the stadiums itself, this took a long time to figure out…
I will be buying a Greyhound Travel Pass for use throughout the 2 months…I’ll also not be buying a rail pass since Amtrak really doesn’t go directly to a lot of places that I would need to use the pass for…so, unfortunately, I’ll be flying more than I wanted to…
The good thing is that I’m only spending about 500-600 more dollars than I would have with the rail pass and I’ll be saving myself several days of travel by flying instead of sitting on a train…so I’ll take the trade-off…
1) Montreal – Boston: Flight (April 19-20)
2) Boston – New York: Greyhound Pass (April 21-22)
3) New York – New York: N/A (April 23-24)
4) New York – Atlantic City: Greyhound Pass (April 25-26)
5) Atlantic City – Philadelphia: Greyhound Pass (April 27)
6) Philadelphia – Baltimore: Greyhound Pass (April 28)
7) Baltimore – Washington: Greyhound Pass (April 29-30)
8) Washington – Pittsburgh: Greyhound Pass (May 1-2)
9) Pittsburgh – Atlanta: Flight (May 3-4)
10) Atlanta – Tampa Bay: Flight (May 5)
11) Tampa Bay – Miami: Greyhound Pass (May 6-7)
12) Miami – New Orleans: Flight (May 8)
13) New Orleans – Houston: Greyhound Pass (May 9-10)
14) Houston – Dallas: Greyhound Pass (May 11-12)
15) Dallas – St. Louis: Flight (May 13-15)
16) St. Louis – Kansas City: Greyhound Pass (May 16-17)
17) Kansas City – Portland: Flight (May 18-19)
18) Portland – Seattle: Greyhound Pass (May 20-21)
19) Seattle – San Diego: Flight (May 22-23)
20) San Diego – Los Angeles: Greyhound Pass (May 24)
21) Los Angeles – Anaheim: N/A (May 25)
22) Anaheim – Oakland: Greyhound Pass (May 26)
23) Oakland – San Francisco: N/A (May 27)
24) San Francisco – Phoenix: Flight (May 28-29)
25) Phoenix – Denver: Flight (May 30-31)
26) Denver – Minneapolis: Flight (June 1-3)
27) Minneapolis – Toronto: Flight (June 4-5)
28) Toronto – Detroit: Seperate Bus (June 6-7)
29) Detroit – Chicago: Greyhound Pass (June 8-9)
30) Chicago – Milwaukee: Greyhound Pass (June 10-11)
31) Milwaukee – Chicago: Greyhound Pass (June 12-13)
32) Chicago – Cleveland: Greyhound Pass (June 14-15)
33) Cleveland – Cincinnati: Greyhound Pass (June 16-17)
34) Cincinnati – Ottawa: Flight
Other random thoughts
– I feel bad for Kenny Perry giving up the Masters championship on the final two holes yesterday, but it just goes to show how valuable the experience of winning can be as Angel Cabrera looked as calm as could be on the final holes and in the playoff…even as Cabrera was in the trees on the first playoff hole, you could sense there was no panic in his decision-making and that he was completely confident in his abilities to get up and down for par…
– I also can’t stand the fact that people are talking about Phil and Tiger choking on the back nine yesterday…I can understand the optics of that statement, but at the same time, Mickelson shot 67 and Tiger shot 68 on the final day. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that the people at Augusta did not set the course up to see final round scores of 64-66…so give those two credit for great rounds and if you want to talk about them choking, talk about them choking over the first 54 holes of the tournament and not the last 9…they simply dug too deep of a hole for them to come back from…
– The NHL playoff matchups are set and I’m unbelievably excited to be in Montreal on Thursday/Saturday to watch the Bruins/Canadiens game from a Montreal perspective…I’ll also get a chance to be in Boston to see Game 3 on April 20th from a Boston perspective…
– My predictions for first round: Boston in 6, Washington in 6, New Jersey in 6, Philly in 7, San Jose in 6, Detroit in 5, Vancouver in 5 and Calgary in 6.
– Is it just me or are we seeing a lot of good pitching performances in the first couple weeks of the season? Usually it takes a couple starts for the pitchers to shake out the cobwebs, but it seems as though the top pitchers have come in top form right from the get-go!
– Watched the Sunday night game in Milwaukee last night…What an insane catch from Reed Johnson…if he doesn’t make that catch, then the Brewers have all the momentum in the world and probably take that game away from the Cubs…Also, is it right that the Cubs’ most dangerous hitter in the lineup is at the top of the order? Alfonso Soriano is way more of a dangerous hitter right now than Milton Bradley, who hit clean-up last night…
Random Ottawa thought
– Am I the only one that’s not convinced that the great record the Senators put together in the last 30 games in the year will translate into success at the start of next year? It’s a great story, but it just seems like a facade to me…For fans of the Sens, I just hope that you see more moves to improve the team other than the pick-up of Pascal Leclaire…they are still at least a couple of pieces from getting back to that upper-echelon in the East…
Stupid Video of the Day
I love the guy’s reaction after she pushes him away…it’s as if he’s ********** that she didn’t allow him to keep groping her…You stay classy, Masters fan!
I feel like I should introduce myself first off…..
My name is Phil Melanson and I work as a host/producer at Sports Radio Team 1200 in Ottawa, Canada. I’m getting ready to embark on the trip of a lifetime where I will hit all 30 baseball stadiums in 60 days. It’s been something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time, but for whatever reason, I finally mustered up the energy to plan this out and actually commit to the idea and now I’m in the middle of getting everything worked out.
It’s also going to be the first time that I’ve travelled outside of Canada for more than a week…..I’ve only ever gone down the East Coast of the U.S. with Virginia Beach being the furthest I’ve been, so going around the U.S. will be quite a new adventure.
The trip is set to begin on April 20th with the Patriot’s Day game in Boston and finish with a game in Cincinnati on June 17th. I’ve already begun by planning the whole trip and have started to purchase tickets for the games and travel….
I do have something to ask of the MLB Blog Nation though…..I would love to meet a person or people from each MLB city to help make my trip that much better by showing me around or just telling me of a place or places where the locals would head before and after a game….I guess I could look that up online, but I fear of missing out on something truly special….
So, if anyone would like to suggest a place to go during the trip or would like to help me out by meeting up in your city….please feel free to drop a comment or give me a shout by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the meantime, here’s the itinerary of my trip….
1) Boston on April 20th – 11:05 a.m.
2) New York Yankees on April 22nd – 1:05 p.m.
3) New York Mets on April 24th – 7:10 p.m.
4) Philadelphia on April 27th – 7:05 p.m.
5) Baltimore on April 28th – 7:05 p.m.
6) Washington on April 30th – 7:05 p.m.
7) Pittsburgh on May 1st – 7:05 p.m.
8) Atlanta on May 4 – 7:10 p.m.
9) Tampa Bay on May 5th – 4:10 p.m.
10) Florida on May 7th – 12:10 p.m.
11) Houston on May 10th – 1:00 p.m.
12) Texas on May 12th – 7:05 p.m.
13) St. Louis on May 15th – 7:15 p.m.
14) Kansas City on May 16th – 6:10 p.m.
15) Seattle on May 20th – 7:10 p.m.
16) San Diego on May 23rd – 7:05 p.m.
17) Los Angeles on May 24th – 1:10 p.m.
18) Anaheim on May 25th – 6:05 p.m.
19) Oakland on May 26th – 7:05 p.m.
20) San Francisco on May 27th – 7:15 p.m.
21) Arizona on May 29th – 7:40 p.m.
22) Colorado on May 31st – 1:10 p.m.
23) Minnesota on June 3rd – 7:10 p.m.
24) Toronto on June 6th – 1:07 p.m.
25) Detroit on June 7th – 1:05 p.m.
26) Chicago White Sox on June 9th – 7:11 p.m.
27) Milwaukee on June 11th – 1:05 p.m.
28) Chicago Cubs on June 13th – 12:05 p.m.
29) Cleveland on June 15th – 7:05 p.m.
30) Cincinnati on June 17th – 7:10 p.m.
It’s less than a month away and I’m just counting down the days!